Pages

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

The Fictional and The Real



I love entertaining fictional stories.

TV shows, movies, books, radio programs (if those still exist). I love it. 

I was reminded of it last Tuesday as one of my all-time favorite TV shows, Parks and Recreation, ended with its Series Finale.

As the final episode played on and each character was given a beyond phenomenal closing, with each character moving forward from some previous help, influence and wisdom from other characters. They all helped each other get somewhere in their life that they might not have thought possible due to other people. 

I found myself so moved. Excited, emotional (don't judge me), and estatic. Something I usually feel when dealing with real-life people in my line of work.

Yet I felt something with these characters. A connection I saw as their fictional lives play out in front of me. It was their story.

Even though it was a comedy, and sometimes ridiculously silly at some points, the characters felt like real people. And I loved to see their story play out.

And I have to ask myself, wouldn't it be something if I paid attention more intentionally with more people's story? Wouldn't it be something if we all did this?

Wouldn't it be something if we all put more focus on the actual stories happening in front of us in real life rather than a digital screen?

Wouldn't it be something if we helped other people had better stories, whether that be by loving, by sharing, by feeding, by discussing, or by lending a hand?

Wouldn't it be something if we were genuinely excited, emotional, and estatic when watching, listening or experiencing our stories together?

Make your story one worth watching and telling. Help someone else have a great story as you live out a great one yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment