Pages

Monday, March 16, 2015

The Who in BBQ


Putting away food has been one of my specialties since I was 12. You name the the amount and I could probably honk it down.

So you could say that I have a mild affection for it.

This weekend, my wife and I were in Texas Hill Country and found a barbecue place that is somewhat of legendary status nationwide. It's called the Salt Lick in Driftwood, TX. And it was heavenly. 

They have an open fire pit at the front of the restaurant where large portions of ribs, brisket, sausage, pork, and turkey are all smoked to a sweet glazed perfection.

I was like a little boy in a candy shop. Only my candy was portions of tender brisket, succulent ribs, and smoky sausage. But what I think I'm going to remember most about this meal will not just be the food. If will without a doubt be who I shared it with.

The conversation I had with my wife was awesome. And the non-stop laughter we shared at our daughter who was screaming out of excitement to let everyone in the place know how great her hanging bell toy was lit up the night more than the flames that cooked our food.

Yes the burnt ends of the brisket melted in my mouth (literally like butter). Yes, the ribs slid off the bone with ease. But what I'm going to take in most is who I spent it with. 

And how it's one of my most cherished memories already. 

It's been said by many wiser people than me before but it's worth saying again.

It's not necessarily about WHAT in life but WHO. And WHO will makes your WHAT that much more meaningful.

No comments:

Post a Comment